Saturday, January 2, 2010

Reading list for 52 books in 52 weeks!

I was reading the 52 in 52 blog and she lists the first five of each genre from "The Well-Educated Mind" recommendations.  I borrowed that from the library, but as of yet cannot afford to get my own copy (so 52's list is uber helpful).

Part of the challenge of 52/52 is a classic a month.  Here's what I'm hoping my classics will be:

1.  Alexander Pope "Rape of the Lock"
2.  Sir Walter Scott "Ivanhoe"
3.  Charlotte Bronte "Villette"
4.  John Bunyan "Pilgrim's Progress"
5.  Oscar Wilde "Picture of Dorian Gray"
6.  Mark Twain "The Tragedy of Puddin' Head Wilson"
7.  Mark Twain "The Autobiography of Mark Twain My review.
8.  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle "The Hounds of Baskervilles"
9.  James Joyce "Ulysses"
10. Virginia Woolf "A Room of One's Own"
11. Upton Sinclair "The Jungle"        One down!  Here's my review.
12. Jonathan Swift "Gulliver's Travels"

(Had to add a few thanks to Tonia  and her wonderful reading lists)

13. Herman Melville "Moby-Dick"
14. Harriet Beecher Stowe "Uncle Tom's Cabin" In Progress :)
15. Gustave Flaubert "Madame Bovary"
I may not read in that order, but those are my classic goal books :)

Okay, I'm compiling a list of other books I want to read.  The titles are followed by the reviews of other bloggers that brought the book to my attention.

16. The Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and the review that hooked me  My review
17. Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven and the review
18. Mistress of the Art of Death and the review
19. Free: The Future of a Radical Price and the review
20. The End of the Alphabet and the review
21. No Country for Old Men and the review
22. The House at Riverton and the review
23. Freakonomics and the review (except it is for Superfreakonomics)
24. Magic Kingdom for Sale and the review
25. Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and the review
26. The House at Sugar Beach and the review
27. Your Kids Are Your Own Fault (no review)
28. The Quickening Maze and the review

1 comment:

  1. It looks like a great list - a few of those titles are in the Well-Educated mind list. If you want to see what the first ten books in the list of novels are, you can see them here - http://thesunnypatch.blogspot.com/2010/01/101010-for-2010.html

    ReplyDelete