Sunday, January 24, 2010

The City of Ember ~ Jean DuPrau

The City of Ember (Books of Ember)
This is the first in a series.  I give it two and a half out of five.  It's not complete junk, it is interesting, as far as I know it's a new idea, but it's still young adult, so really fluff.  The city of Ember exists in darkness.  The people live in periods of day and night, controlled by electric lighting throughout their city.  The problem is, the city is old.  Supplies are running out and the generator is breaking down constantly.  Two young adults (12-year-olds) find "Instructions" and with them they hope to rescue their city.

Again, it's a neat little book.  A short read, interesting, but it was easy to figure out what was going on.  Not bad if you have some time to kill.

2 comments:

  1. I read the first two books of this series to my children and we enjoyed them a lot. I have not seen the newer ones at the library....I should look!

    Have you seen the movie version of Ember? They changed a lot of things but we all thought it had the right *feel* and enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there was a movie?!? I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete