Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ~ Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

I have loved this book.  My first thought, upon seeing that it was all correspondance was, you must be kidding me.  I am terrible at writing letters and reading them, well, not my best moments.  However, this story will sweep you along.  After a few back and forths you start to really hear the characters and being able to see things from everyone's point of view is stirring.  The main character is contacted out of the blue by someone that has bought one of her used book.  The buyer is inquiring into more books by the same author and, because she had her name and address written inside the cover, decided she must be the best person to ask.  That letter starts one of the sweetest stories I've ever read.  The occupation of Guernsey during WWII (the book takes place soon after the end of the war) is gone over from many different points of view.

I'll probably need to collect myself and rewrite this review.  I'm just so...  It's like finding out a dear friend has made millions off of some scrap in their attic.  It's that warm afterglowish feeling of happiness for someone else, someone you love that you know deserves it.  That's how this book has left me.  I could probably just delete the rest of the review, huh?

1 comment:

  1. I am actually writing this title down for 2011 - it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete