Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Turn of the Screw ~ Henry James

Turn of the Screw

Three out of five

This book was much quicker than I expected.  It is definitely fast paced, but I did find my attention wandering at times.  James does love his commas and for much of this I had to reread sentences trying to hear the pauses to make sense of it.

The story itself is very good.  I was surprised to see so much of other books I've read in it.  Either this is a "typical" story, or James has been ripped off repeatedly by modern writers.  The premise is of two ghosts haunting children.  I can't say too much or I'll ruin the story.  The ending is very abrupt and does leave some to the imagination.

All in all, not a knock your socks off read, but something creepy to pass a day or two with.

No comments:

Post a Comment