Friday, January 15, 2010

Starting a new book and the beginning is delicious!

The Autobiography of Mark Twain (Perennial Classics)
I just picked this up this morning!

Have you ever started a book, read the preface and thought....  EGADS!  And then wished you could rent a cabin in the middle of nowhere so you could fully emerse yourself in it?  This is one of those books.

Golly, I adore Mark Twain and his autobiography is more than I expected.  I had to share some quotes.  I'm only on page five as of yet, but I'll post more as I go, hopefully not rewriting the entire book before I'm done!

"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened.  It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it."  [3]
.....
"It seems a pity that the world should throw away so many good things merely because they are unwholesome.  I doubt if God has given us any refreshment which, taken in moderation, is unwholesome, except microbes.  Yet there are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation.  They pay this price for health.  And health is all they get for it.  How strange it is!  It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." [4-5]

No comments:

Post a Comment