Monday, January 11, 2010

Two-Part Invention ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage (The Crosswicks Journal, Book 4)
This book was simply incredible.  I love the Wrinkle in Time series and have always had a deep affection for Madeleine L'Engle, because of those books.  This book is the fourth in an autobiographical series.  Unfortuneatly, our library did not have the other three available, but they're on my must-read list as of today.

There were connections all over the place for me while reading this book.  First, Jean Kerr, author of Please Don't Eat the Daisies an old favorite of mine, is a friend of L'Engle.  Then, there's the trip to Chicago, when they stay on Lake Shore Drive.  That is where Jurgis, of The Jungle, meets the owner of a large part of the packing district.  Add to that the incredible difficulties L'Engle faces through this book and her words of wisdom, so pertinent to where myself and many of my friends are at this time, and you have a book that I could not have read at a better time.

If you are ever at a loss for how to respond to another's grief or trials, this book will help you.  If you're facing grief or trials, this book will help you.  If you loved 'All My Children,' this book is about Hugh Franklin (L'Engle is his wife).  If you're a writer, a mother, a child, a human being, this book will touch you.  I've laughed, I've cried, I've lived about a million years since starting this on Saturday.

My next step will be to order all four from Amazon. 

5 out of 5, if I was my son I would put 6.  This is such an incredible book.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, you've made me want to read this again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love L'Engle's adult fiction, too! A Severed Wasp is a stunningly beautiful book. I'm planning on reading these again this year. Sometime.

    ReplyDelete