Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Odd Botany ~ Thorpe Moeckel


A surprisingly good collection of poems.  The subjects vary from a "Shout Out" to "the only rap show this side of the Susquehanna" to Alzheimers, from the Blue Ridge Mountains to the equator.

Normally, I'm more of a tried and true poetry lover.  So far, the only poetry books I've finished were "The Hunting of the Snark" and "One-Hundred Best Loved Poems."  However, Moeckel has managed to be both readable and touching without the pretention or snobbery of many other modern day poets.  His words are beautiful, his view human.  He is not excessively dark, angry, dramatic, or joyous.  One poem may be angry, "Shout Out" for instance, and another draws tears, "Ropethrows."

I'm posting part of my favorite, to give you a taste:

FREE SAMPLES (just the last stanze)

snuffaluphagi of kudzu, shudder of sedge;
silent but deadlies in the back seat,
and alphabet races, B-bridge, C-grace.

I'm not a big poetry love, but I send this out with with a hearty, you should read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment