Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Uncle Tom's Cabin~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

Uncle Tom's Cabin: or, Life among the Lowly (Modern Library Classics)
Five out of five.

This is a beautifully told story, following the lives of slaves and slave holders in early America.  Most people must read this book in school, it's another one that I missed and now, I wish I would have had this knowledge for all the intervening years.  The angles here, the views, the demands for a straightforward Christian look at slavery are something that I simply have not encountered until this point.

This novel cries out to the patriot and the Christian to see how slavery degrades, not just the slave, but the owner.  It's not all concerning the old slave system, wage slaves are mentioned as well.  It seems to me, the more I read, the more amazed I am at how little we've managed to change.  Dickens, Stowe and Twain, they all had the same feelings and understandings that I hear people begging each other to understand today, and I can't decide if this depresses me or heartens me.  It's depressing, because all this time the problems and problem people still use the same excuses.  It's heartening, because I can look back into history now and know that we weren't all walking in inky blackness.

Sorry, this is becoming more of a blog than a review, isn't it?  Back to the matter at hand!

Food for thought:

from page 547
But, what can any individual do?  Of that, every individual can judge...  See, then, to your sympathies in this matter!  Are they in harmony with the sympathies of Christ? or are they swayed and perverted by the sophistries of worldy policy?

I was going to include pages and pages of quotes, but I suppose I should leave you something to read.  Really and truly, this is a moving book that portrays a view of slavery in the United States far different from anything to which I have been exposed.  Not only are there sympathies with the whites, but a deep and stirring compassion.  This is not a beat you over the head you are so evil book.  This is truly a persuasive book, that even now, even so long after slavery (at least of the physical chains type) has been abolished can still cause a person to stop and say, have I done enough?

I have yet to describe the story, huh?  Uncle Tom is a devout Christian.  In the face of all manner of evil, he stands firm in his faith.  One moment does Tom quiver and the Lord is there to sustain him.  Another person on the same farm where we meet Tom, becomes a fugitive.  She herioically risks her life to save her child and meets heroism of a quiet and steadfast type in the Quaker village where she hides.  Cassy, in my opinion one of the most moving of all the characters, depicts the grotesque nature of a soul that has been twisted and warped, because it is "owned" by another.  Really, it's so hard to describe anyone without giving the whole story away!

This book took me five days, it was worth every moment.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed it as well, although maybe not quite so much. ;-)

    This was a great review. I can feel how the book impacted you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got swept up in this story, and that your heart was touched by it.

    Unfortunately, there are more slaves in the world now than there have ever been. A book I reviewed, "50 Facts that Should Change the World," reports that there are more than 27 million slaves in the world today. Sex trafficking, indentured work and debts that will never be paid off are all contributing to this atrocity.

    There's a lot still left to be done to make a difference in their lives, and to end this horrible practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Daisy, I still feel like it was more of a blog than a review, but what can you do?

    Eileen, I am sadly aware of slavery around the world and here at home. It does make me want to sit and wring my hands and do nothing. The quote I posted, from UTC sits in the back of my head, to remind me how to judge myself in how I'm helping.

    Sometimes it seems so hopeless. As long as one person is willing to use another to raise their own standard of living without regard to the well-being of the person they're using, slavery will still be alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...I have avoided this book for years and now I feel like I am being foolish! Thanks for your thought-provoking review.

    ReplyDelete